The most popular destination around Medellin
This must-see area is only 2 hours away by car from Medellin, our full day tour is the best way to experience this place. Climbing the 740 steps of the steep rock is not only the best way to open up your appetite for a delicious Bandeja paisa (the typical dish from the area that has beans, rice, meat, egg and more), but it also gives us the opportunity to get the most astonishing views of the surrounding area. It is quite worth it to climb to the top of the rock to enjoy this marvelous landscape.
On our journey out of Medellin towards the great rock of El Peñol (a.k.a the Guatapé rock), we will enjoy watching some of the most picturesque towns in this area and have the chance, if you want, to stop to get a snack or look at handicrafts.
Then get to where the original town of El Peñol was located. This area was flooded to create the reservoir to provide water and electricity to Medellin and surrounding areas. We will take a boat ride in the reservoir (be aware that we won't be stopping at any of the islands) and learn about the place´s history.
To climb to the top of a 200 meter (650 feet) rock may seem like a daunting challenge, but don't despair! You will have enough time (it usually takes between 30 to 45 minutes) to climb to the top and back. At the summit the view is breathtaking. Take your time and linger here as this is a perfect place to take amazing photos.
Available tour durations
- 8 hrs.
Itinerary and route map of the El Peñol & Guatapé tour
You can tailor your tour depending on your time and interests. Allow us to suggest the best options for a great time.
- Departure from: Hotel/Address in the city.
- El Peñol rock.
- El Peñol-Guatapé reservoir and the small islands.
- The church at the new Peñol.
- Caballo de Troya handicraft store.
- Return to: Hotel/Address.
Dates and Times
- Suggested departure time: 8:00 am
- Available all year round, every day (unless indicated otherwise).
- During the high tourist season the suggested starting time may change due to the amount of people visiting the sites.
What is included in the El Peñol & Guatape tour?
- Specialized tour guide (bilingual Spanish - English)
- Private transport.
- Typical lunch.
- Entrance fee to El Peñol rock.
- Medical insurance.
- *Not Included
- Non-specified expenditures.
- Comfortable clothing, hat, sunglasses.
- Sun screen.
- Physical exertion 7-80 years old.
- We recommend to use a poncho or umbrella if the forecast predicts rain.
- Please tell us about any allergies and dietary restrictions.
- This is not recommended for people with mobility issues.
- Visiting the El Peñol rock it's a must if you come to Colombia and this tour will give you a wide, encompassing experience.
- This is a safe and private tour so you feel comfortable walking through the city.
- Our guides are local and have been thoroughly trained to share their deep knowledge of the area.
- Travel insurance (while on tour) is included in the price of all or tours in the unlikely event of an accident.
- Available languages - Guides:
How to book this El Peñol & Guatape tour?
You can book this experience, using our secure booking engine.
El Peñol & Guatape tour price list
*Tour prices per person in USD.
|6 or more||79|
Payment Method and Cancellation Policy
- For payment: You may pay in Cash or Credit card. (COP or USD)
- All foreign travelers must present and share a copy of their passport to be exempt of the VAT charge.
- In the event of wanting to cancel the tour, this must be done at least 24 hours before the pick-up time, or else a 50% fee from the tour price shall be charged.
- Children younger than 1 are not charged. Children between 2 and 12 years old shall be charged 50% of the tour price.
Enjoy our El Peñol & Guatape Tour
"By the end of the week, I felt I'd made a new friend and was leaving a city I had fallen in love with. If and when we get to go back, I'll be asking Daniel to take us to more sites and share more of his favorite places with us. I can't adequately express how much his time and dedication to our trip meant to me. Absolutely wonderful tour guide."
Why Choose Us?
Due to over 20 years of experience in the tourism industry we can guarantee the highest quality standards.
We carefully select and train our guides to deliver professionalism in our services.
We offer private tours customized to your own personal interests.
We deliver clear and detailed information through our website and social platforms to ensure your satisfaction.